Thursday, September 9, 2010

Help from Americaland!

Greetings from Bembaland! Its been a busy day. I had a convo with a elderly bamama (grandmother) on my way to school. She was impressed with my Bemba, so was I. I co-taught an 80min 9b English class. The lesson was on past simple/past continuous tense and comprehension. We played a game called "Think fast" where I threw a ball to a student, told them a verb and what tense I wanted them to put the verb in. They had fun with the game. Then I told them a story I made up (but prepared before hand) where they had to identify the verbs, tell me what tense (past or past continuous) the verbs were in and give my story an ending. Lets just say the story ended with Hendrix being eaten by a lion. I will teach the same lesson tomorrow to grade 9a, hopefully they wont kill off my dog. Also tomorrow, we have our 1st Girl's club meeting of the term. Im excited to talk to all my girls again! Im also preparing for a workshop/ community sensitization training im co-leading with the Community Development Officer next week. The training is on my role as a volunteer and community mobilization/development. Super busy but busy is good! So...the real reason for the update. I need help from Americaland! Ive gotten a lot of people asking me what I need or need help with. I added a wish list of sorts on here but there are 2 things I really need help with now now (Zambian for ASAP) : 1)DONATE TO CAMP GLOW! - My district is putting on a empowerment/leadership camp for girls in Dec. Its up to the volunteers to find a hosting site, speakers, materials and funds. All 7 of us have a role (Im helping with arts and crafts and ideas are welcomed) and we all are bringing 1 teacher and 2 studentr to the camp. We have already started planning but we still need to raise money. This is where you can help! But DON'T SEND THE MONEY TO ME! Go to www.peacecorps.gov -then go to "Donate to volunteer projects". You can then either search by volunteer name, in this case its "FRITZLER" or search by the project number, which is "611-062". The project title is "Girl's Leadership Camp". Any amount is helpful! I really appreciate it! Plus its a tax write off! You would be helping at least 14 girls gain self esteem and they will in turn become leaders in their schools & communities. This is why I started the girl's club at my school. 2) PEN PALS!- So my classes are learning how to write letters and they want American pen pals. My classes are grades 5-9 and are between the ages of 10-16. If your kids, family members, classes, youth groups, student teaching classes, the sports teams you coach and even if you want to write to a child in Mpumba Zone PLEASE email me (raekenya.walker@gmail.com) and let me know! We all would appreciate your help with this one. Its also achieves pc goals 2 & 3...CULTURAL EXCHANGE! They have so many questions and want to be heard. It could turn into a good outlet for them too. Im working with 7 schools so the more interest the better! Im willing to sacrifice getting my own letters if it means letters for the kids ;-) Thank you all in advance! I have amazing friends and family back home who I know will help if they can! Ill keep you posted on the Camp. Feel free to email me any questions, suggestions, quotes, positive vibes, etc. Id love to have them! THANK YOU! As a side note to all of this Hendrix got into a "fight" with a goat and lost! He is fine but he has a battle scar on his nose now. Also after spending a full day cooking with bamayos I was told I am a good cook, a good dancer and that I speak the truth! So there you go :-) ... LOVE YOU ALL and miss you much! Amapalo!

1 comment:

  1. Hey pretty lady! You are an amazing cook, a great dancer, and speak the truth. More importantly you are an exquisite person that I feel privileged to call my friend. I'll message you soon in response to all that jazz you just left us, but I thought you deserved this more immediately. Love you and miss you always!

    ReplyDelete