Friday, March 26, 2010

Be free!

Muli Shani! Thats how are you in Bemba. So much has happened since i got here a little over a month ago. Ive already been to 4 of the 9 proviences, Ive been proposed to twice and have been adopted by many and beginning to appreciate the African motto of "be free". Ive already been to 1st and 2nd site visit and will swear-in in a month! I went to southern for 1st site visit. I stayed with another RED volunteer and got to see what the old program kind of looked like. There the volunteer's bataata (father) killed a goat for us to eat and we watched. Goat is very salty. 2nd site visit was to my actual site where ill be for 2yrs more on that later! I have learned so much in 4 weeks like how to cook ubwali (nshima), carry water on my head and how to wash clothes the proper way. Ive already co taught a 5th grade math class and have seen where i could help. During 2nd site visit i went to northern provience a good 8hrs away from lusaka. I love my villiage i was afraid they wouldnt accept me because im a black muzungu (non zambian but ofter refers to whites and americans. They were so happy by my presence and my eagerness to learn bemba. The chief did ask why pc sent me not a white person! I had a great time. I suck at cooking and getting the brazier started so hopeful i can get the hang of it or ill be losing a lot more then 12lbs! I am staying with a host family and they are great. My bamayo told me she loved and things are quiet without me. Iam really excited to go back! I will go into more details later but things are well. I love mail so please write to me. Its 6-7 hr7 ahead here so im about to go to bed at 9. Ill try to update more. Ok kafakenipo and sendimenipo! Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment